This Is How Our Story Began
The Columbus (GA) Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was chartered in 1948 by a group of visionary women who had the insight to establish a Delta Chapter in the tri-city.
The historical significance of the Chapter is deeply rooted in the vision of twelve college women who saw the need to bring Delta's rich legacy to the tri-city area. The seed was planted in 1945 when six young, vivacious Delta Sorors began a unit with the ultimate goal of establishing a Chapter.
From 1945 until 1948, Sorors Alma Haywood Bass, Rosa E. Childs, Frances M. Culpepper, Ebbie Dorsey, Mrytle Grant, and Lula Lunsford Odom planned and served awaiting the day when a charter would be issued. The long awaited day came on February 14, 1948 when the Southern Regional Director, Soror Addie Jones, initiated six other women to the sisterhood.
The new initiates were Patricia Bivins, Etta Dogan, Lyda Haywood Hannan, Virginia Fair Harris, Helen McClung and Nellie Borders Poole.
On this sweetest of sweet days, Gamma Rho Sigma Chapter was chartered. From the core of dedicated and visionary women, our Chapter has continued to grow and break new ground. The Chapter grew and the name was later changed to the Columbus Alumnae Chapter, which is confirming the tradition of excellence and service in this community. The legacy is rich and traditions of scholarship, service and sisterhood prevail. Over the years, the Columbus Alumnae Chapter has been committed to the Sorority's mission of public service and implementing the Five-Point Programmatic Thrust. Our Chapter is an active and dynamic one with more than 300 members.